Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Berlin Wall Fall


Sitting in my living room, hoping I could watch Night Court (which came on after my bedtime), regular programming was interrupted for some people gathered in a city and were rushing over a wall. I was confused the people were dancing, chanting, and carting around massive amounts of Levi’s and boom boxes. Now I know the date and the event, it was November 11, 1989 and the fall of the Berlin Wall. The historic implications of this event were the weakening of the Soviet Union and the near end of the Cold War. The world, which had spent the last 40 some years rapt with communism versus capitalism, could breathe for a while and not fear nuclear holocaust. Two years latter my second grade teacher, Mr. Brown, jumped on the opportunity to travel to Russia (the former U.S.S.R.). He brought back with him stories of no toilet paper and toilets that couldn’t flush the paper even if it was available, as well as, nesting dolls.

3 comments:

  1. nesting dolls? and also very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Levi's and boom boxes? sounds like a great time to me. So was that the day Germany completely unified?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow interesting what's with the Nesting dolls explain ?

    ReplyDelete